Ikigai

Ikigai (生き甲斐, pronounced [ikiɡai]) is a Japanese concept that means "a reason for being." It is similar to the French phrase Raison d'être. Everyone, according to Japanese culture, has an ikigai. Finding it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self. Such a search is important to the cultural belief that discovering one's ikigai brings satisfaction and meaning to life.[1] Examples include work, hobbies and raising children.[2]

The term ikigai compounds two Japanese words: iki (wikt:生き) meaning "life; alive" and kai (甲斐) "(an) effect; (a) result; (a) fruit; (a) worth; (a) use; (a) benefit; (no, little) avail" (sequentially voiced as gai) "a reason for living [being alive]; a meaning for [to] life; what [something that] makes life worth living; a raison d'etre".[3]

In the culture of Okinawa, ikigai is thought of as "a reason to get up in the morning"; that is, a reason to enjoy life. In a TED Talk, Dan Buettner suggested ikigai as one of the reasons people in the area had such long lives.[4]

The word ikigai is usually used to indicate the source of value in one's life or the things that make one's life worthwhile. Secondly, the word is used to refer to mental and spiritual circumstances under which individuals feel that their lives are valuable. It's not necessarily linked to one's economic status or the present state of society. Even if a person feels that the present is dark, but they have a goal in mind, they may feel ikigai. Behaviours that make us feel ikigai are not actions we are forced to take—these are natural and spontaneous actions.

In the article named Ikigai — jibun no kanosei, kaikasaseru katei ("Ikigai: the process of allowing the self's possibilities to blossom") Kobayashi Tsukasa says that "people can feel real ikigai only when, on the basis of personal maturity, the satisfaction of various desires, love and happiness, encounters with others, and a sense of the value of life, they proceed toward self-realization."

Taken from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigai

What's your reason for being? Your Ikigai is?

My family keep me going, although some days they bring the ultimate in despair ( :-} ), they are also my ultimate reason for living. Yes I love crafting, walking, music, art, the flowers, trees, and my Path too, is a source of joy bringing me satisfaction and peace, but my family are ALL to me.

My family...my son, my daughter, their spouses. my husband, and grandchildren are my Ikigai.

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

My reason for being is my path, it's how I found my power center.  I love being a homemaker, and taking care of my family, though to be honest, sometimes I want to bang my head against a wall.  

I truly love my circle of friends, we are now a family.  When I made the decision to give up my extended family(mom and dad passed, estranged sister)it was my soul family that held me up.  When I don;t seem to be asked to family functions anymore(aunts, uncles, etc)because of my life path, I have my soul family.  I truly believe in another realm they are my family.

Hugs you tight xxxx

RSS

Have questions?

Need help? Visit our Support Group for help from our friendly Admins and members!

Have you?

Become a Member
Invited Your Friends
Made new Friends
Read/ Written a Blog
Joined/ Created a Group
Read/ Posted a Discussion
Checked out the Chat
Looked at/Posted Videos
Made a donation this month
Followed us on Twitter
Followed us on Facebook

Donations

Please consider a donation to help with our continued growth and site costs

Connect

Visit The Temple
on Facebook:

Blog Posts

I PREFER MY OWN WISDOM

Posted by Sky a.k.a. JD Aeon on July 18, 2019 at 11:22am 2 Comments

Tinkerbell

Posted by Quingu on July 18, 2019 at 6:00am 1 Comment

hmmm

Posted by Barbelo Luciferus (White Eagle) on July 17, 2019 at 4:16am 5 Comments

Enki the Cloner

Posted by Quingu on July 16, 2019 at 7:30am 0 Comments

The Mark of The Beast

Posted by Quingu on July 15, 2019 at 3:00am 0 Comments

PROBLEM!

Posted by Rosey on July 13, 2019 at 12:12am 1 Comment

Sun vs. Moon

Posted by Quingu on July 10, 2019 at 9:30am 0 Comments

Sallos Jinn (19) Nectar God

Posted by Quingu on July 9, 2019 at 3:30pm 0 Comments

Quadruple

Posted by Quingu on July 9, 2019 at 10:12am 0 Comments

THIS MOMENT! THIS HOUR!

Posted by Rosey on July 6, 2019 at 8:00pm 0 Comments

Quid(ditch) (Twinflame)

Posted by Quingu on July 1, 2019 at 2:30pm 1 Comment

THE LOTUS BLUE!

Posted by Rosey on June 23, 2019 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

The On Going Debate

Posted by Quingu on June 17, 2019 at 11:30am 0 Comments

Free Will

Posted by Quingu on June 15, 2019 at 8:39am 2 Comments

Update

Posted by Crystalline on June 12, 2019 at 4:58pm 2 Comments

JUly'S AWARENESS

Image result for july awareness and causes

Image result for july awareness and causesImage result for july awareness and causesRelated image

© 2019   Created by Bryan   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service