hounfo

the parish or region of a houngan or mambo's influence.
govi
a small earthen bottle into which the gros-bon-ange of dead ancestors can rescued. After a person dies the gros-bon-ange goes to the underwater place. A year and a day after he or she goes their the relatives can recall the gros-bon-ange. Unfortunately this is a very expensive service, requiring a significant animal sacrifice, often an ox. Thus it is often considerable time before the service can be done. If too much time passes the ancestor may get a bit restless and cause trouble--illness etc.
serviteurs
serious practitioners of Voodoo.
ason
the magic rattle of the houngan or mambo.
lave tet
(washing of the head) an initiation ceremony held for serviteurs after they have been mounted for the first time.
kanzo
the initiation ceremonies for those moving into a very serious level of Voodoo practice.
taking of the ason
the final initiation into being a houngan or mambo.

NOTE: Both kanzo and the taking of the ason are very secret services. However, in Alfred Mtraux's book (VOODOO IN HAITI), through observation and talking with people who were not too careful about the secrecy of kanzo, he has pieced together a detailed account of the ceremony.

verve
ceremonial drawings done in flour, of the various loa.
peristyle
the Voodoo temple. A tiny tiny place.
poto mitan
the center pole in a Voodoo peristyle. It represents the center of the universe and all dancing revolves around the poto mitan.
Les Invisibles
all spirits.
Les Mysteries
1--the loa themselves.
2--sacred knowledge. Also called konesans.
The crossroads.
A central image in Voodoo. This is the place where the two worlds (earth and spirit world) meet. Virtually all Voodoo acts, even healing, begin with the acknowledgment of the crossroads.

Some of the central loa in the Voodoo pantheon:

Legba.
An old man who is the gatekeeper between the two worlds, world of earth and the world of the Invisibles. He is the origin of life. The sun is one of his symbols, but he is also the source of regeneration and uses the symbol of the phallus.
Kalfu
(crossroads) is the Petro counterpart to Legba. He is the spirit of the night, the origins of darkness. The moon is his symbol. He can be placated, but is a dangerous loa.
Papa Ghede.
Loa of death and resurrection. A total clown. Very erotic and comic. He is the lord of eroticism.
Dumballah.
The father figure. He is the good snake. The source of peace and tranquillity. The egg is offered to him when he comes to mount a person. He is much loved and sought after. His wife Aida-wedo attends him.
Agw.
The sovereign of the seas. Especially honored, as one might well expect, by people who live near the sea.
Ogoun.
The warrior. Today, too, the force of politics. Violent.
Erzulie.
The earth mother. Spirit of the goddess of love. The muse of beauty. (Strongly identified with the Virgin Mary.) Her appearance (when she mounts someone) is one of cleansing, dressing, delicate foods daintily eaten. She can read the future in dreams. A much loved loa.

Views: 96

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting and informative, thank you.

I am drawn to Aida-wedo, my 4 year old son suddenly drew me a picture of her back in 1992 and told me to put it on the wall near the front door to the street, so she has been there ever since. 

I would love more information about her if you could please point me in the correct direction?  Thank you x

I would be happy to see what I can find out about her Liz.

Oh, thank you, so much!  That would be wonderful.

+Thanks for the updates on the terminology of Voudu. Name a few solid suggestions on good reading material for both supplemental study and work.  How far did the writer / practitioner/servitor William Seabrook go in his study and research of the Voudu cultus? What are ojas? How  are the Chaud Points activated? These sincere inquiries are addressed  to anyone who will take a knowledgeable swing at them. The movie/book , the serpent and the rainbow.  How much of it,  was true  to the practice,  and how much was simply Hollywood entertainment? LLL/Pax ,my Illuminatus family!

RSS

Have questions?

Need help? Visit our Support Group for help from our friendly Admins and members!

Have you?

Become a Member
Invited Your Friends
Made new Friends
Read/ Written a Blog
Joined/ Created a Group
Read/ Posted a Discussion
Checked out the Chat
Looked at/Posted Videos
Made a donation this month
Followed us on Twitter
Followed us on Facebook

Donations

Please consider a donation to help with our continued growth and site costs

Connect

Visit The Temple
on Facebook:

Blog Posts

CHOICE!

Posted by Rosey on July 19, 2019 at 8:37am 1 Comment

I PREFER MY OWN WISDOM

Posted by Sky a.k.a. JD Aeon on July 18, 2019 at 11:22am 9 Comments

Tinkerbell

Posted by Quingu on July 18, 2019 at 6:00am 7 Comments

Enki the Cloner

Posted by Quingu on July 16, 2019 at 7:30am 0 Comments

The Mark of The Beast

Posted by Quingu on July 15, 2019 at 3:00am 2 Comments

PROBLEM!

Posted by Rosey on July 13, 2019 at 12:12am 3 Comments

Sun vs. Moon

Posted by Quingu on July 10, 2019 at 9:30am 0 Comments

Sallos Jinn (19) Nectar God

Posted by Quingu on July 9, 2019 at 3:30pm 0 Comments

Quadruple

Posted by Quingu on July 9, 2019 at 10:12am 0 Comments

THIS MOMENT! THIS HOUR!

Posted by Rosey on July 6, 2019 at 8:00pm 0 Comments

Quid(ditch) (Twinflame)

Posted by Quingu on July 1, 2019 at 2:30pm 1 Comment

THE LOTUS BLUE!

Posted by Rosey on June 23, 2019 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

The On Going Debate

Posted by Quingu on June 17, 2019 at 11:30am 0 Comments

Free Will

Posted by Quingu on June 15, 2019 at 8:39am 2 Comments

Update

Posted by Crystalline on June 12, 2019 at 4:58pm 2 Comments

AGE & WISDOM

Posted by Sky a.k.a. JD Aeon on June 10, 2019 at 9:30am 1 Comment

JUly'S AWARENESS

Image result for july awareness and causes

Image result for july awareness and causesImage result for july awareness and causesRelated image

© 2019   Created by Bryan   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service